Jenie Oliver – Singing Empowerment
Professional singer, vocal coach and workshop facilitator
Qualifications: HDE with Music Education and Educational psychology.
Jenie has studied classical singing and other singing techniques, such as 'speak- singing'. She has performed with 'Not the Midnight Mass' and many other groups over the years. She has also sung overseas and for the last few years has been resident musician at the 12 Apostles Hotel and Spa.
Jenie Oliver has been involved in education and singing for many years. As performer and more recently imparter, she has recently started facilitating workshops which enable people to 'find and develop' their voices, literally and figuratively speaking. Research shows that singing is a vital health-giving form of expression and scientific studies show elevated immunity, less stress, less depression and overall improved health and confidence as a result. Her main interest is to give people the tools to use their voices and to break down barriers, such as fear and negative ideas about the voice. Physiologically, the larynx is designed for singing due
to the very nature of the stretching and shortening of the vocal folds to create different pitches, so we can all therefore vocalise!
There are 3 workshops in the series. The first is entitled ' Finding your voice'. The subsequent two are aimed at taking the participant further down the road of self- discovery in terms of 'developing and applying the tools'.
Singing opens up channels for expression and better communication and articulation, and is a source of emotional release as well.
As a result of these, Jenie started a 'Pop Choir' as many of the participants wanted to continue to sing! This meets every Thursday and is open to all who love singing, male and female, young and old, experienced and inexperienced. In a matter of months, the group has grown in number and ability and can already sing 3 or 4 part harmonies!
Each workshop is 2 hours long and the series of 3 is priced at R 600.
'Singing empowerment' cds are available at an additional cost of R100 each.
Watch this space for info on the next workshop series.
If you wish to be on Jenie's mailing list, or have any queries, please feel free to contact her and you will be informed of upcoming events pertaining to this.
- Joe Cooper has written: Since starting practice with the CD, my tone from low to high register is noticeably better; breathing economy is much better. It is also very evident that my general confidence has improved when performing a number. I'll continue with this practice CD and thereafter will need to progress to more advanced routines.
- I sang all the way to school and my voice was so open and free. Thx – you’re the best! Vonda Meekin Wilcox
- Des and I so enjoyed the choir last Thursday. You are a great teacher and the class was so friendly and lots of fun. The songs were going round and round in my head for a few days and they really made me feel happier than I have felt in a long time. You were right when you said singing has health benefits. Barbara Vroom
- I felt very relaxed after a while and made the most of an enjoyable and enlightening workshop. Micheal Broers( City Screen)
- Jenie's way of presenting the workshop made it very easy and great fun for me to overcome my feelings of shyness and anxiety.
- I am extremely grateful to Jenie as she has enabled me to follow a dream I ´thought already buried long time ago. Singing brings me so much joy and has become again an essential part of my life! Although I was not a novice in terms of singing the workshop really did it for me! Thx Jenie! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone number: 021 782 1409/ 072 424 5663
- Address: Glencairn, Simonstown
Or please email Jenie by using the contact form below and she shall reply to you.